Thursday, September 21, 2006

Well, it's been five months...

and the rest of my blog looks like a different world.
I'm going to start documenting my life again, my advenures in money, music, and you know, god and stuff.
Today, we start with the heavy stuff (jesus!).
Seriously, jesus.
Now, those of you who know me, might know that I'm jewish.
But forget about it.
Because my dad's christian.
or protestant.
Or something.
or was.
but then he turned against religion, so he's mostly kept his mouth shut about it, and done his best to mutter sabbath prayers when my mother lights candles.

But I digress.

today, I've exhausted. After meeting a lovely girl at The Buffalo Exchange yesterday (the hippest clothing shop on neptune), I was excited because maybe we were going to eat breakfast together this morning.

well, I've pretty much ruined that, because I called her FOUR (count em, 1-2-3-4) times last night in the course of an hour.
BUT, I had an EXCUSE!, you see!
I called Once, left a message,
then called again,
and left a P.S.
to that message.
It was charming, really.
THEN, I went into the bathroom, and did my best to shave, as I always do, with a ConAir head shaver, which is way too big and insensitive to be shaving with, not to mention mine is mostly broken.
So I'm shaving with this thing, and I come out of the bathroom, and I've gotten a message in the meantime from this girl (who's not a girl I'm trying to have sex with, really, but just an interesting and potential buddy. she's really great, and into vegan cooking, and ayurvedic medicine, and all of this stuff i'm interested in, and don't have anyone to talk to about).
SO, I call her back, and get no answer.
And i'm like DAMN!
THEN, i decide I'm going to meditate and/or go to sleep, and I should call this girl, because we'd been talking about doing breakfast the next day, and I'm like "Oh, you don't need to call her, you'll talk to her tomorrow" and then the other part of my brain is all like "DUDE, don't be such a puss, this isn't middle school, give her a call".
So I force myself to call her back, feeling really awkward and clingy and creepy (this WAS supposed to be platonic, right?), and get her answering machine again, and then am like "oh well, fuck it", so I hang up, leave the house today without talking to her, and don't bring my cell phone with me. Sorry, Sarah!
BUT, she's got this dance performance she's doing tonight, so I'm going to try to catch that (it's free, and close, and African dance is another thing we're both very interested in, and I'm not lying when I tell you I can dance you face off if you're not some highly trained african dancer).

SO, back to jesus.

So what happens is, I'm leaving my house, and I'm exhausted, and I'm like "I've gotta go get my chauffer's license so I can get a job as a pedicabber (a bike taxi)", and I'm biking for 15 minutes or whatever, and just like falling over exhausted, having a very hard time keeping my spirits up, because I don't, in fact, have any interest in being a pedicab driver (terrible hours, physical stress on the body, just don't feel like it).
But I'm doing it anyway, because I've got to make MONEY!, right? MONEY!, and I'm not even allowing myself to acknowledge the fact that I've got $6,000 in my mutual fund, and that this is the time to use it, but I'm too embarassed to tell my parents that, and i've got one job already.

so I walk into this place.

And i'm like, damn, this woman's not even looking at me.

And it turns out, she's the sweetest woman, and i have a nice time in her presence, even though i'm unprepared for my little pedicab license, because i've got to go spend ANOTHER $35 to get records from Virginia, where I used to live, in addition to the $35 I spend to get my records in Texas, where i'm living now.

BUT, I'm exhausted, and she's seeing how fucking worn out i am, and ends up talking to me about jesus (in a really nice sort of way), and giving me five bucks.

I was charmed.

i read some quotes on her wall, before we had the jesus talk, that had already lifted my spirits, and when she told me "jesus is real", i know she meant it, and I know it was true for her.

Here's why: Well, there's no explaining it really, nevermind.

But, i read this one nice quote on her wall that said "don't worry about anything, pray for everything" or something like that (it was from some gospel).

So i said, i'm so fucking worried about money. Fuck you, God, I'm going to stop worrying, i'm done worrying, please take care of it, god, take care of it, i'm entrusting you with my money as i've entrusted you with any number of other things.
And then the lady walked out and said "are you going to be ok" and offered me five bucks, which obviously I wasn't enthused to take until she really wanted to give it to me, and i was honest about my empty wallet and my empty stomach and how exhausted and hungry i was.
So i went and felt like a millionaire with my $5.25 (i found a quarter in a vending machine!), and got the best lunch i've ever eaten, at some greek deli.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home